- To serve as a source of inspiration, education, and training for grassroots action on issues important to our members.
- To provide members with a forum to engage in constructive conversation to build bridges among people with diverse views.
- To inform members of opportunities and provide effective tools to participate in community action and the political process at the grassroots level.
- To influence policy at the local, state, and national level.
- Grassroots Alexandria works to protect the rights of all our neighbors.
- We strive to learn from each other’s diversity.
- We practice non-violence.
- We believe in leading without ego.
- In our political action we look at policies and practices, rather than personalities and people, to make the most effective and positive impact.
- We work on key issues for political and grassroots change in Virginia, taking into consideration short-term needs, long-term goals, and national context.
- We create teams to focus on topics of interest to members of Grassroots Alexandria in order to effectively address issues in a timely manner and to curate the exchange of ideas and activism on specific issues.
- Individuals are also encouraged to work on civic issues of their own interest.
- We communicate our successes via our website, through social media, and by talking with the local press to publicize the value and nature of Grassroots Alexandria and to broaden the conversation about relevant political issues.
Grassroots Alexandria is managed by a self-renewing steering committee. Current steering committee members are:
But the real work of the organization is done by teams.